Saturday, August 1, 2009

Exodus:Chapter 3 Questions and Comments

Ch. 3, 14:

"I am who am" / "I am sent me to you"
  • I didn't even know what this meant?!?! Looking in the references portion of my bible it said in astericks that phrase became the source of the word 'Yahweh' the proper personal name of the God of Israel.
  • Question: Why exactly did he say this, in that way?
  • Was he humanizing, or rather personalizing, himself for others to understand him in a new way?
Ch. 3, 22:

"thus you will despoil the Egyptians"
  • Is this a reference to 'the rich giving to the poor' in present time?
  • He is not saying you cannot be rich, there are many references in Genesis where he says he will make them rich if they pray to him.
  • If your rich/corrupted/bad: you should therefore give to the poor and all will be good?
  • Movies/people today say that the rich should always give to the poor, being rich is bad if you dont help people with it.
  • Robin Hood is about taking money from the king and giving it to his people...
  • What exactly does he mean by "despoiling" the eqyptians?

1 comment:

  1. From my understanding, to the Israelites, it was considered heretical to speak the name of God (Yahweh). Hence their using "I am" as a name.

    I like "I am" as the name of God, personally. For some of my questions, the only comfort is that God is. That God exists. That, no matter what sucks now, God will make things right in the end, for no other reason than it is God's nature to do so. That doesn't really make sense as I type it....there's a lot more to that thought process.

    ReplyDelete